Just one minute in the microwave is needed to whip up this moist, fluffy and delicious classic coffee cake! Inspired by the popular Starbucks bakery offering, this healthy 1 minute classic coffee cake is gluten free, paleo, vegan friendly and a low calorie snack or sweet treat to enjoy anytime- There is also a tested oven option!
Friends, I have lied.
CALL ME OUT.
After sharing this iced lemon pound cake and the blueberry muffin inspired by the Starbucks bakery menu offerings, I kind of promised myself that the ‘Bux was only reserved for beverages and a single packet of honey for my odd cup of tea. Unless I was stranded at an airport hungry, going to Starbucks for a slice of cake or a sweet treat would NOT be on my itinerary.
The other week, I was group skyping some friends back in Australia and was getting asked some pretty tense questions.
“Arman, what is with you and recreating FOOD recipes from a coffee shop?
“Are you even in America or just at the LAX Starbucks?”
“Arman, I think you have a Starbucks fetish”
Thanks, guys. I can’t get a date on tinder so I’ve developed a Starbucks fetish.
If sharing Starbucks inspired recipes means I have a Starbucks fetish, C’est la vie.
I’ve mentioned on here before but I ADORE reader feedback or requests (unless it’s a no bake unicorn bite- sorry, but that’s been done….) and try my best to listen to them and come up with something that may potentially fit the bill. When several of you guys requested a 1-minute cake version of Starbucks Classic Coffee cake, I used it as an excuse to treat myself to a slice of it mid-afternoon with an extra strong coffee.
I must admit- Out of all the Starbucks bakery offerings I have sampled, this by far takes the cake (pun intended- Now excuse me as I slap myself over how LAME it is). It’s exterior was crumbly and covered with the most delicious sugar encrusted glaze. Once we dug deeper, it was moist, fluffy and rich.
As part of my collaboration with Kohl’s, I aimed to share treats and snacks the whole family would enjoy. Several of you guys mentioned that your families would enjoy going to Starbucks on a Sunday for coffee, cake and leaving Dad there to hang out while you go shopping. Now? You guys can make this recipe in the comfort of your own home and make dad be the barista. The key to perfectly textured coffee cakes from the microwave? The right mug. I personally use and adore these Fiesta Jumbo Cups– The extra large size makes it even better to load the streusel on top!
This healthy 1 minute classic coffee take has the taste, texture and delicious flavor that the Starbucks (or a typical coffee cake!) would have, but is actually healthy for you! It’s a quick, easy and delicious snack or after dinner sweet treat which takes minutes to prep and a quick 1-minute whirl in the microwave to whip up! Understandably, not even has a microwave so this has definitely been oven tested too (see notes below). It’s suitable for most dietary lifestyles as the base recipe is naturally gluten free, paleo and dairy free. It’s also been tested using a flax egg to my vegan friends are covered too!
HACK! I included ingredients one serving of streusel topping but do me a favor and multiply it by 4. Trust me on this one- You’ll need it for an upcoming recipe 😉
Make this healthy 1-minute classic coffee cake and excuse me as I purposely coordinate future airport layovers in which Starbucks is the ONLY option available.
PS….It’s even better with this salted caramel sauce drizzled on top.
- 1 1/2 T coconut flour (can sub for all almond flour)
- 1 T almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice (adjust to desired sweetness)
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg white (for a vegan version, use 1 flax egg)*
- 1 T- 1/4 cup dairy free milk of choice**
- 1 T almond flour
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 T coconut palm sugar
- 1 T almond butter
- dairy free milk
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the almond extract, dairy free milk and the egg white (or flax egg) and whisk lightly. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- If using the streusel topping, in a small bowl, combine the almond flour with the cinnamon and palm sugar and mix well. Add the almond butter and mix well until a thick, crumbly mixture is produced. Add a dash of dairy free milk if desired.
- Grease a large mug or deep bowl (I used a cereal bowl) generously and pour the batter in it and microwave for 50 seconds-2 minutes (Depending on brand and wattage).
- Remove from bowl, top with steusel and enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease a large ramekin with oil and set aside.
- Follow directions as above and once ready, bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- * You can use the whole egg but it will be slightly more flat
- ** You may need more depending on what flour you use
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Kohl’s.
Cheers, hugs and handshakes for supporting brands and companies which allow me to do what I love every day!
Are you a fan of coffee cake?
I love my coffee with…….? A side of Beyonce. Beyonce the buttermilk pancake, duh!
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld