These chocolate chip pecan cookies are perfectly crisp around the edges, soft in the middle, and loaded with chocolate chips and pecans! No flour needed and take just 12 minutes.
How do you elevate chocolate chip cookies? Add pecans.
Chocolate chip cookies with pecans are a taste and texture lover’s dream. You get mouthfuls of chocolate and some crunch from the pecans, with even more pecan flavor in the cookies themselves.
I thought I hit the jackpot when I made my Nutella cookies or almond butter cookies, but these with pecans take the crown. For such a fancy cookie, I love how they need just a handful of ingredients. The baking time? Less than 12 minutes and the chilling time is completely optional!
This pecan cookie recipe is very basic: there is no flour or grains needed, and just 5 key ingredients. Here is what you’ll need to make it:
- Pecan butter. Drippy pecan butter with no added sugar.
- Brown sugar. Coconut sugar or a mix of brown and white sugar work.
- Eggs. Room temperature eggs.
- Baking soda. Leavening agent that gives the cookies some stability and thickness.
- Chocolate chips. I used dark chocolate chips but milk or white chocolate also works.
- Pecans. Raw pecans or salted pecans. Use the latter if you like the sweet and salty combination.
How to make chocolate chip pecan cookies
It’s a simple 3-step process to baking cookies. If you are in a pinch, you can skip the chilling process completely. Here is the basic idea for how to make pecan cookies with chocolate chips (or see the recipe below for specifics):
- Mix: Cream together the pecan butter, sugar, eggs, and baking soda. Fold through the chocolate chips and pecans.
- Chill: Cover the mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Shape: Remove the dough from the refrigerator and scoop out balls of cookie dough and place it on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are firm.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
These cookies are easy to adapt to various other diets out there or if you don’t have an ingredient on hand. Here are tested options to try:
- Make it eggless by swapping out the eggs with an egg substitute.
- Cut the sugar by using a brown sugar substitute and sugar free chocolate chips.
- Substitute the pecan butter for another nut butter, like almond butter or peanut butter.
- Add mix-ins like coconut flakes, raisins, or even chopped up white or milk chocolate.
What is the best way to store pecan cookies? Here are best practices for cookie storage:
- Up to 5 days: Store at room temperature, covered.
- 1 week or more: These cookies store well in the refrigerator as well! Let them sit at room temperature for several minutes before eating.
- 6 months: Place the cooled cookies in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More cookies to try
- Coconut flour cookies
- Subway cookies
- Healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Levain bakery cookies
- Nutella stuffed cookies
Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies (No flour)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add the pecan butter, egg, brown sugar, and baking soda, and mix well. Fold through the pecan and chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the cookie dough for 30 minutes.
- Scoop out 12 portions of cookie dough and place them on the lined sheet. Press down on each ball of cookie dough into a cookie shape.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are mostly firm.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool completely.