A delicious, moist and fluffy chocolate chip muffin recipe which takes one minute to whip up in the microwave but also comes with an oven tested version! It’s low calorie, gluten free and comes with a trialled and tested vegan, high protein and paleo version! A healthy snack or treat to enjoy anytime!
Sometimes, recipe ideas come in the midst of an unrelated conversation with your friends.
Since living in America, contact with friends and family back home has been limited or at best, at opposing times. When I am off to sleep, they are beginning their days and when I wake up, it’s their turn to
hit the clubs hit the pillows. However, somewhere between all of that, I was able to work out a decent schedule in which I could converse face to face with my friends back home. Friday afternoons my time (EST) is usually the early mornings in Australia.
What does this entail? A pre-Friday night plans/pre-Saturday morning brunch date.
A few Friday’s ago, I was chatting with my friend Alex who was telling me about his new job working in a law firm. Being the epic mate I am, I did a fabulous job of covering my desire to yawn when they started using legal jargon. I then started randomly giggling because I remembered this Judge Judy case where a woman sued her sister because of shoe.
BECAUSE OF A SHOE.
(That’s it, Niki. I want my blue Nikes back).
Anyway, after my random outburst (ironically, in the midst of them telling me about defamation cases), my mate then went on to talk about this new girl he was dating. Cue the desire to yawn again. This mate of mine is the WORST with girls. He dates them for one day and decides the next day he’s going to marry them. Moving on, somewhere in the midst of lamenting about Sarah, he randomly said ‘I’m craving a chocolate chip muffin.’ This perked me up. Not really because of the chocolate chip muffin but because he’d changed topics (briefly) and was momentarily disengaged from Sarah.
While he continued chatting away, my mind could stop not thinking about a chocolate chip muffin.
This healthy 1-minute chocolate chip muffin has been my snack of choice since said conversation. It’s the ideal recipe to quash the sweet tooth when it attacks and is actually pretty darn healthy for you! It’s moist, fluffy and has the delicious texture of a bakery style muffin. I tried one version using a tablespoon of gluten-free cake flour instead of the gluten-free oat flour and it took it to another level! It’s much lower in sugar than traditional muffins. Naturally gluten-free and paleo, it comes with a tested vegan version. However, the texture will be slightly different and a little less fluffy.
Initially, I used twice the amount of ingredients and was rewarded with a soup ball sized muffin- Not the worst. However, I then completely ruined my appetite for dinner (Still ate it) so am only sharing the half sized version which it itself, is incredibly generous!
Make this healthy one-minute chocolate chip muffin and the next time you’re in the midst of a droning conversation, think muffins. Sorry, Alex.
Same time next Friday?
Healthy One Minute Chocolate Chip Muffin
- 1 1/2 T coconut flour
- 1 T gluten-free cake flour sub for almond flour for paleo opion
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice adjust to desired sweetness
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white for a vegan version, use 1 flax egg*
- 1 T- 1/4 cup dairy free milk of choice**
- 1 T mini dairy free chocolate chips divided
For the microwave version
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Add half the mini chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the dairy free milk with the egg white (or flax egg) and whisk lightly. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Top with extra chocolate chips.
- Grease a large mug or deep bowl (I used a cereal bowl) generously and pour the batter in it and microwave for 50 seconds-2 minutes (Depending on brand and wattage).
- Remove from bowl and enjoy!
For the oven version
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease a large ramekin with oil and set aside.
- Follow directions as above and once ready, bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
** You may need more depending on what flour you use
Double the ingredients for a huge, bakery style muffin sized treat!
Do you have that one friend you love but drones on and on about the more mundane things in life?
For those who have friends/family overseas, how often do you guys communicate?