This simple cake batter dip is perfect for parties and gatherings. Lightened-up with greek yogurt and cool whip, it’s light, fluffy, and tastes like a cake batter.
Funfetti anything is always a good idea for parties and gatherings. Made with only three ingredients, this dessert-style dip is easy for feeding many people.
Why this recipe works
- Only three ingredients. Flavored like a cake mix, this sweet dip is a terrific treat everyone will love. And the best part is, it’s made with only three ingredients.
- Ready in 5 minutes. If you have people coming over with zero ideas about what to serve, whip up this dip and stop worrying about the dessert.
- Light and creamy. Made with Greek yogurt, this cake batter dip is lighter and lower in calories than dips made with cream cheese.
What I love about this recipe is how easy it is to customize! I like making chocolate chip cookies or chopping up some brownies for fun dessert dippers; everyone is a fan!
As mentioned earlier, this recipe calls for simple ingredients that don’t require running to the store! Here is what you’ll need:
- Yogurt. Plain Greek yogurt is what makes this deep so light. You can also use plain vanilla yogurt.
- Cool whip. As cool whip is sold frozen, defrost it in the fridge before using it.
- Cake batter mix. I use funfetti cake mix for this recipe. You can use a plain vanilla cake mix and add colorful sprinkles.
- Sprinkles (Optional). Sprinkle over the cake mix before serving it.
How to make cake batter dip
Making this cake batter mix takes just a couple of minutes. Don’t forget to transfer the cool whip from the freezer into the fridge a few hours before.
Mix the yogurt with a cool whip to make this cake batter mix. Then add the cake batter mix and mix gently until fully combined.
Transfer the cake batter dip to a serving bowl and serve with your favorite crackers or dessert bites.
How do you heat treat boxed cake mix?
As you won’t be cooking the cake mix for this recipe, it is important to heat treat it first. The flour in the dry cake mix may contain harmful bacteria.
Heat treat boxed cake mix by spreading it on a baking sheet and baking it for 5-6 minutes in the oven preheated to 350F degrees. Allow the cake mix to cool before making the cake batter dip.
Both boxed and homemade cake mixes should be heat-treated.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Defrost the cool whip in the microwave. Cool whip may take up to 8 hours to defrost in a bigger tub. If you don’t have time to defrost it or have forgotten to remove it from the freezer, use the microwave defrost setting to thaw it out quickly. Microwave cool whip at 30-second intervals and stir it between the microwave sessions until fully defrosted.
- Serve with fruit. This cake batter dip tastes just as good when served with fruits. Fruits are healthier than crackers and cookies and will be the perfect companion for this skinny cake batter dip.
- Use gluten-free cake batter mix. Substituting regular funfetti cake mix with its gluten-free counterpart is a way to make this sweet treat gluten-free and perfect for people who have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten.
Dry cake batter mixes come in a range of flavors. You can use your favorite to make this dip. Here are a few ideas.
- Chocolate. Use chocolate cake mix to make the best chocolate cake dip. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles as a finishing touch.
- Red velvet. Swap regular mix for red velvet cake mix for the perfect Valentine’s Day cake batter tip. Top with white chocolate sprinkles.
- Lemon. Use lemon cake mix if you love citrus-flavored everything. Top the lemon cake batter dip with yellow sprinkles, and some lemon zest, and serve with your favorite crackers or lemon drop cookies.
What to serve with this dessert
The best thing to accompany this dessert dip is cookies or sweet crackers. The more plain the cookies are, the better. Try shortbread cookies, sugar cookies, or something nut-based, like almond butter or peanut butter cookies.
Chocolate desserts also work well, like chopped-up brownies (over-bake them, so they are extra chewy!) or a chocolate cake that has been cubed up.
If you’d like to keep things lighter, apple slices work very well, as do strawberries and raspberries.
To store: Transfer leftovers into an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 2 days. Allow the dip to soften at room temperature, and you can dip the crackers and cookies into it.
To freeze; If you have made a big batch of dip that you can’t finish within two days, freeze it. Cake batter dip lasts up to 30 days in the freezer. Thaw frozen cake batter dip in the fridge overnight.
More simple dessert recipes to try
- No bake oatmeal cookies
- Coconut cookies
- Brownie bites
- Edible brownie batter
- Edible cookie dough
- Cookie dough bites
- Pots de creme
Frequently asked questions
Dry cake batter mix should be heat treated as raw flour may contain harmful bacteria. The same goes for the raw cake batter. You shouldn’t eat raw cake batter as it can make you sick.
No cake mix should be eaten raw if it contains flour. Bake funfetti cake mix in the oven preheated to 350F degrees for around 5 minutes.
Cake Batter Dip (3 Ingredients)
- 1 1/2 cups cool whip thawed
- 1 cup non fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup Funfetti cake mix heat treated
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cool whip and yogurt until combined. Slowly stir through the cake mix until a thick mixture remains.
- Transfer into a bowl and serve immediately or chill it until ready to serve.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
My fav birthday cakes are either Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting or a deeply rich chocolate cake, like Le Bete Noire.
They sound delicious, Cara!
Sooo I like organizing my room and cleaning when I get bored too 😛 But I can’t do cakes without chocolate. With chocolate fudge. And chocolate sprinkles.
Hahaha what a strange thing to do!
Light the candles and may the birthday celebration begin with this decadence!!!! Have an awesome weekend Arman.
🙂 Thanks so much, Allie!
Happy birthday, Niki!!
My sister likes to reorganize her room, too….maybe the two of them can do that together while we eat ice cream and watch.
Omg can they seriously? They could be modern day maids. Unpaid, obviously.
Happy birthday, Niki!! Wishing you many better things than what the Kardashians go through.
Think I could have Niki’s share of this cake batter dip??
YES. You can.
“Comparison is the thief of joy.”
“Alison is a damn banana thief.”
Happy Birthday Niki! If you don’t want your sprinkled cake, I’ll eat it. 🙂
YES- packed full of bananas too 😀
Holy YUM! This looks so delicious! You can’t go wrong with cake batter. Happy Birthday, Niki!!
Right/ Thanks so much Liz! 🙂
Wow, sounds delicious! Thanks for a great recipe and sweet tribute!
This was really good!
Thanks so much for the feedback, Jorien! 🙂
hey you have every thing free palo, vegan, gluten free, how about some low carb. like your site
Hi Brenda, many of my recipes are low carb 🙂
I just made this… I was drawn to it because it was a single serve. Although I will say it is a LARGE serving…. I liked it, but it was very rich. I used coconut flour, wasn’t sure if I should use 2 TBSP if I was omitting the cake mix. Mine was very soft not like the picture. I didn’t add any additional milk. Still loved the taste. Thanks!
You are so welcome, Cynthia! The key to having the thick texture is the protein powder (casein + brown rice = so much thicker) and the brand of coconut flour 🙂
Just wondering if T is table spoon or tea spoon?
Hi Katlynn! It is for tablespoon 🙂
Sorry, I’m from Germany! But what does “T” mean?
Sorry Antonia! It stands for ‘tablespoon’ 🙂
I just made this and it tastes great!! The only thing I’m wondering is how you got it to be so pretty and white? Mine is the ugliest color of brown haha. Thank you!
Hi Cassie! So glad you enjoyed it! Oh gosh, haha it totally depends on your protein powder- I found casein ones came out beautifully white (Optimum nutrition and also Tech brand) however the vegan one was the WORST color haha!