This easy keto chocolate ice cream needs just 4 ingredients and is smooth, creamy and melts in your mouth! Made with or without an ice cream maker, it has no cream, no sugar, and no eggs, but you’d never tell! Bonus? It can also be made nut-free!
Keto Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
After sharing my keto vanilla ice cream recipe, it was only fair to share its partner in crime.
Again, I wanted to experiment with some of my older ice cream recipes. As someone who’d always used a blender to make no-churn ice cream, I wanted to use an ice cream maker this time.
Like the vanilla version, this chocolate ice cream came out perfectly both in the blender and ice cream maker…but dare I say I prefer the latter?
Using an ice cream maker to make this keto ice cream really is a game changer, in several ways.
I’m always skeptical about homemade healthy ice cream recipes because as a true ice cream fanatic, it needs to be VERY similar.
Well, fear not.
Taste-wise, this keto chocolate ice cream ticks all the boxes. A rich, sweet, chocolate flavor, without any hints of the nut or seed butter.
In terms of texture, it is smooth, creamy and melts in your mouth. It is even more rich and velvety when made in the ice cream maker.
Not only is this keto chocolate ice cream naturally low carb and sugar free, it’s also paleo, vegan, dairy free and gluten-free!
To make this no churn keto chocolate ice cream, you only need FOUR ingredients (or 5!) –
- Canned coconut milk (Full fat)
- Almond Butter or Cashew Butter
- Liquid chocolate stevia
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vodka or another alcoholic spirit (Optional)
NUT BUTTER AND ALTERNATIVES
Peanut butter can also be used, but it will no longer be paleo-friendly, and the peanut butter flavor is VERY evident.
FLAVORED LIQUID STEVIA
To really amp up the chocolate flavor, I used a chocolate flavored liquid stevia. Like normal liquid stevia, it still is zero calories and keto friendly, but just with a more obvious chocolate flavor.
If you only have standard liquid stevia, don’t fret- The cocoa powder provides plenty of chocolate flavor.
THE BEST COCOA POWDER
There are so many kinds of cocoa powder on the market, and some are better than others.
ADDING ALCOHOL TO THE ICE CREAM
Like the vanilla keto ice cream, adding alcohol to the recipe was a game changer. I promise you won’t be able to taste it, but you’ll be blessed with an ultra creamier ice cream and one which is so much easier to scoop out.
I prefer using vodka or another plain spirit, but several readers wrote in saying pure vanilla extract worked well too. I cannot vouch for this, as I haven’t tried it myself.
ICE CREAM MAKER VS BLENDER
Both methods work and have been tested both ways.
For the best results, please do use an ice cream maker, as it just makes it much less time consuming and less mess.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR PERFECT KETO CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Chill your freezer friendly container or, if you use an ice cream maker, the metallic bowl it comes with. This will help prevent the ice cream from freezing to the sides.
Be patient- whether you use an ice cream maker or not, allow your ice cream to thaw at room temperature, for 10-15 minutes before scooping.
Lightly wet your ice cream scoop, to ensure perfect, even scoops.
If you use the no-churn method, patience is key. For the first hour, regularly stir the ice cream mixture, to really ensure it doesn’t freeze solid immediately.
Sift your cocoa powder, to avoid clumps in the ice cream.
Omitting the alcohol isn’t recommended, but if you do, stir the mixture for the first hour, to ensure it doesn’t freeze up.
4 Ingredient Keto Chocolate Ice Cream (No Churn, Vegan, Paleo)
No Churn Instructions
- Place your loaf pan or metallic ice cream container in the freezer.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine all your ingredients and blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour the chocolate ice cream mixture in the chilled container. For the first hour, stir the mixture every 20 minutes, to ensure it doesn't freeze solid.
- Before scooping out, allow thawing for 10-15 minutes. Lightly wet your scoop before serving ice cream.
Ice Cream Maker Instructions
- Place your metallic ice cream container in the freezer.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, blend until combined. Pour the ice cream mixture in the chilled pan and allow to firm up slightly around 45 minutes. Alternatively, if your freezer has space, place your blender in it.
- Pour the semi-frozen ice cream mixture in your ice cream maker. Churn for 10-15 minutes, or until a thick and creamy ice cream mixture remains.
- Transfer ice cream mixture to the chilled pan and freeze until firm.
- Allow thawing for at least 10 minutes, before scooping.