This lemon pepper chicken is a true weeknight savior, featuring simple ingredients and easy preparation. It comes together in less than 20 minutes and goes well with a variety of side dishes.
Chicken breast is a blank canvas that needs bright flavors and a delicious sauce. You can make this lean protein shine with the help of just a few ingredients.
Like our lemon pepper wings, this chicken breast dish features browned lemon pepper cutlets in a zingy buttery sauce.
Why this recipe works
- Takes less than 20 minutes to make. There isn’t much prep work involved in making this recipe. The chicken itself takes only 10 minutes to cook.
- Simple ingredients. This recipe doesn’t come with a lengthy ingredient list. It allows you to achieve a rich-flavored dish with minimal ingredients.
- A versatile main dish. Lemon chicken pairs well with various side dishes, including rice, pasta, green salads, and vegetables. And if you are not in the mood for side dishes, you can use these cutlets to make a quick sandwich.
Are you looking for a chicken breast recipe that is easy and not boring? Then this lemon pepper chicken recipe is your best bet.
As noted above, you don’t need many ingredients to cook this recipe. Here’s everything you’ll need.
- Chicken breasts. Skinless and boneless.
- Olive oil. To pan-fry the chicken breasts.
- Flour. To dredge the chicken breasts before frying.
- Lemon. You will need both the juice and the zest.
- Lemon pepper. This is a mixture of lemon zest and pepper.
- Butter. For the buttery lemon sauce.
- Garlic. Adding garlic to chicken dishes is a good way to enhance their flavor.
- Parsley. Fresh chopped parsley for serving.
How to make lemon pepper chicken
Cut the chicken breasts into four cutlets and pound them lightly to get them evenly thick.
Dredge the chicken breasts in a mixture of flour, lemon zest, lemon pepper, and salt. Shake off the excess and cook the cutlets in a heated pan over medium heat.
Cook the cutlets for 5 minutes per side until they are nicely browned.
Return all chicken cutlets to the pan. Add butter, garlic, and lemon juice. Simmer for two minutes.
Remove the lemon pepper chicken from the heat, garnish with fresh parsley, and serve.
Tips to make the best recipe
- If you don’t have lemon salt in your spice drawer, simply combine sea salt with lemon or lime zest. Both dried and fresh zest will work.
- Make the lemon pepper sauce creamier by using chicken stock and heavy cream.
- Season the chicken breasts with Italian seasoning to add an herbal aroma.
- Finish off the dish by adding a handful of spinach to the pan.
- Dredge the chicken in gluten-free all-purpose flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Use more spices for extra flavor, including cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes.
To store: Place leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
To reheat: Reheat lemon pepper chicken in the oven preheated to 325 degrees for 15 minutes. You can also reheat the chicken in the microwave.
To freeze: Once the chicken has cooled, place it in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More tasty skillet chicken recipes you’ll love
- Cast iron chicken breast
- Chicken Marsala
- Honey mustard chicken
- Chicken Katsu
- Chicken schnitzel
- Marry me chicken
Frequently asked questions
Lemon pepper tastes just as the name of the seasoning implies. It has a bright lemony flavor and a pungent, peppery bite.
Not overcooking the chicken is the key to keeping it juicy. Another step to make your chicken juicy is to brine it in salt water for 30 minutes before cooking it.
Boneless and skinless chicken breasts work very well for lemon pepper chicken as they are thin and easy to cook on the stove. If you want a richer chicken flavor, use boneless chicken thighs. Pound the chicken thighs to flatten them a bit.
Yes, you can.
If you bake the chicken breasts, skip the flour and only season the chicken with salt, spices, and garlic. Put the chicken breasts in a baking dish, add some lemon juice and butter, and bake at 350F degrees until they are cooked through.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Lemon Pepper Chicken recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Slice chicken breasts in half into four cutlets and pound them lightly to get them even thickness.
- Combine the flour, lemon zest, salt, and lemon pepper in a bowl.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour and shake off any excess.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat and working in batches, cook the chicken until browned on both sides.
- Add butter, garlic, and lemon juice. Simmer together for 2 minutes before removing from the heat and serving immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.