Keto Chicken Nuggets are tender chicken breast pieces coated in a low carb batter and baked to perfection! No frying needed, they are healthy and delicious- perfect for both adults and kids!
My sister and I have always had the McDonalds VS Burger King debate. I was always a fan of the batter, because their nuggets actually tasted pretty darn incredible. They had a spicy coating and there was much less of a ‘batter’. Also, the chicken didn’t taste as though it came from all parts of the bird bar the breast which made it that much more delicious.
Burger King chicken nuggets trumped McDonalds chicken nuggets and as such- I wanted to make a paleo and keto version, that tasted JUST like Burger King!
Crispy on the ouside, tender and soft on the inside, these low carb chicken nuggets will be your new favorite. They have a light, almond flour based batter, and are secretly healthy- No deep frying or frying necessary. The secret ingredient is the smoked paprika, which takes the nuggets to another level!
How do you make keto chicken nuggets
- Chicken breast– skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized portions. They do not need to be in a uniform shape.
- Almond Flour– Blanched almond flour, for the crispy batter. Avoid using almond meal, as it can be quite heavy, and sticks to the chicken.
- Smoked Paprika– Gives some lovely smokey flavor and added spice. If you only have traditional paprika, just omit it.
- Salt and Pepper– To taste. Start with a smaller portion of salt, as the celery salt gives extra saltiness.
- Celery Salt– A more robust salt. This is the secret ingredient to make these nuggets taste like those delicious Burger King ones.
- Onion and Garlic Powder– Gives extra flavor, without the need for any garlic or onion. Do not use onion salt or garlic salt, or your nuggets will be too salty.
- Eggs– To dredge the chicken pieces in, before coating them in the spice and almond flour rub.
Start by whisking together your eggs and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine your almond flour and spices and mix until combined. Dip the chicken in the eggs to cover completely, before dipping in the spice mixture, until completely covered. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 22-25 minutes at 200C/400F, flipping halfway through.
Can I make these in the air fryer?
Yes! If you have access to an air fryer, use that instead of the oven. You will likely need to make this in two batches, to avoid overcrowding of the chicken in the air fryer basket.
To make in the air fryer- Place a single layer of battered chicken nuggets in the air fryer basket. Bake at 200C/400F for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
If you’d like to use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, you are welcome to do so. You’ll only need to make a few minor changes-
- Chop chicken thighs in uniform pieces, to be able to cook evenly.
- Add an extra 2 tablespoons of almond flour to the spice mixture and an extra egg to the egg wash. The fat content of thighs are higher than chicken breasts, and as such, they soak up much more liquids (the eggs).
- Cooking time will be 20-22 minutes, instead of 22-25 minutes.
Tips to make the best baked chicken nuggets
- Do not overbake the chicken nuggets. The coating/batter will not darken too much, so unlike traditional breaded nuggets, won’t be a good indication of the nuggets being cooked.
- Be sure that each piece of chicken is completely coated in the egg before adding it to the spice/flour mixture. You don’t want to dry out the chicken by only having spices on it.
- Add extra spices to the batter, if you’d prefer. Cayenne pepper is great for some added spiciness. Cajun seasoning will give a smokey and citrus flavor.
Storing and Freezing Chicken Nuggets
- To store: Leftover nuggets must be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days. Do not keep any longer, otherwise there is the risk of the chicken going bad.
- To freeze: Once the nuggets have cooled, place them in a ziplock bag or shallow container. You can then store them in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- To reheat: I do not recommend reheating in the microwave, otherwise, you will lose the crispiness. I recommend either re-heating in the oven/air fryer or even in a non-stick pan.
More easy keto recipes to try
Keto Chicken Nuggets (Baked!)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add your smoked paprika, celery salt, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder, and mix well. In a separate bowl, add your eggs and whisk them together.
- Begin a process of dipping the chicken into the egg mixture, followed by the spice mixture, ensuring the chicken pieces are all fully coated before setting on the baking pan. Repeat the process until all the chicken is used up.
- Bake the chicken for 20-22 minutes, flipping halfway through.