You only need three ingredients and less than five minutes to whip up these healthy 3 ingredient no bake protein bars! Vegan, Gluten, Dairy and Allergy free and perfect for snacking or after a workout!
“With your recipes and writing, where do you get inspiration and motivation from?”
This was the question my friend brought up over brunch a couple of weeks ago and it really made me think. For some of us, recipe inspiration may have come from a meal that we ate or our favourite cookie. The motivation to recreate it came from the original not being gluten free. We may get content inspiration from something in the media or a week long world wide focus on it. Our motivation to put pen to paper might be to raise awareness of it through our personal online platforms. Outside of blogging, we might get inspiration from our friends and their choices- For example, buying a house or choosing their ideal vehicle. My friend has had his eyes on the jaguar for the longest period of time after seeing another friend of ours save up and purchase one. He then became motivated to work a second job, smarter financing in order to fulfil his desires.
Trying to pin point one specific area of motivation or inspiration is impossible- Something I think many writers, bloggers or anyone with a ‘voice’ can agree on.
Let’s take today’s recipe for example. The inspiration for these 3 Ingredient No Bake Protein Bars was sparked several years ago when I was weight lifting consistently (I will discuss this ‘bodybuilding mentality’ in an upcoming post as part of my ‘era series‘), The gym I was part of offered a complimentary personal training package for all new recruits and I was offered three sessions. The second session with my trainer saw him offer me nutrition advice, the biggest one being ‘eat a balanced post workout snack of protein and carbs’. He recommended me to blend a banana with protein powder and milk but at that time, the thought of smoothies made me want to gag. He suggested a simple bowl of oatmeal with protein powder mixed in.
Protein powder and oatmeal became my standard post workout meal but eventually, university started again and I didn’t have the luxury of microwaving a bowl in the comfort of my home. Instead of resorting to the shakes, I would just combine the oats with protein powder and enough to milk to make a ‘dough‘ and would chow on that straight after the gym and this replaced the oats.
I then stopped going to the gym and trying to be a body builder. That, my friends, is a story for another day.
However, I still enjoy the balanced snack of a simple 3 ingredient no bake protein bar. I’m borderline ashamed to call this a ‘recipe’ but it’s edible, there are ingredients to it and it’s delicious. Bodybuilder or not, this snack bar is delicious for anyone to enjoy and the best thing is that it literally is THREE ingredients and takes five minutes. What I love most about this protein bar is that it has no dried fruits, nuts or nut butters in it- Something which many homemade protein bars (even some on here) contain.
Besides being vegan, gluten free, allergy free and completely sugar free (depending on the protein powder you use), they are also perfectly customisable. I had some leftover homemade white chocolate chips from this recipe along with some leftover chocolate chips from this recipe so of course, I choose those as my add ins. Keep it plain Jane or jazz it up with anything you like, have a portable and delicious snack ready in no time. This small batch 3 ingredient no bake protein bar could not be any simpler!
I’m inspired to eat one. I’m also motivated to eat one.
Just ignore me and go make a batch.
- 1 cup quick oats, divided
- 3 scoops flavoured protein powder of choice (30 gram scoops)*
- 1/2-1 cup dairy free milk of choice**
- Sweetener of choice***
- Optional- Add ins of choice (I used dairy free chocolate chips and vegan white chocolate chips)
- Line a deep baking dish with baking paper and set aside.
- Divide half the quick oats and blend them to a flour.
- Combine the oats and protein powder in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add the milk of choice until a very thick batter is formed. Stir through your add ins of choice and transfer to baking dish and press firmly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into bars and enjoy!
- * I recommend using a brown rice vegan protein powder or casein protein powder- You can use whey but mixture will be very sticky.
- ** Protein powder brands differ- Add the milk 1/4 cup at a time until a thick batter is formed
- *** Only add sweetener if your protein powder is unflavoured or you like extremely sweet bars
- Bars can be stored at room temperature for up to two weeks or refrigerated for up to a month. I enjoy these frozen and slightly thawed.
Chewy No Bake Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Bars (Gluten Free, Vegan, Sugar Free)
No Bake White Chocolate and Raspberry Protein Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan)
No Bake Cashew Coconut Protein Bars (Gluten Free, Vegan)
Do you think motivation and inspiration can come from only one place?
Have you ever had a personal trainer?
Are you a fan of the traditional ‘protein shake’?Keep in touch with me:
Twitter -> @thebigmansworld
Instagram – > thebigmansworld
Facebook – > thebigmansworld
Pinterest -> thebigmansworld
Bloglovin’ -> thebigmansworld