This keto chocolate mug cake is a single serving low carb dessert that takes less than a minute to prepare! Moist, fluffy, and loaded with chocolate flavor, this keto mug cake can also be made in the oven! 2 grams net carbs.
When I get the chocolate cravings, mug cakes are my go-to dessert. They are portioned for one and require minimal clean up. I pretty much make the mug cake IN the bowl I’m going to microwave it in.
Now, I already have a fabulous chocolate mug cake recipe, but I wanted to make a chocolate mug cake keto. Instead of flour and sugar, I used coconut flour and replaced the sugar with monk fruit sweetener. I also omitted the egg completely.
Don’t be fooled, though- This chocolate mug cake has a super fluffy and moist texture, and with a light, tender crumb! It tastes like a delicious chocolate cake, full of chocolate in every bite!
How do you make a keto chocolate mug cake
- Cocoa Powder– Use a good quality cocoa powder, and sift it first if there are clumps in them. For a darker and richer flavor, use black or dark cocoa powder.
- Coconut Flour– This gives the mug cake the fluffy and cakey texture. Like the cocoa powder, sift the coconut flour if there are clumps.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Any keto sweetener can be used. Monk fruit sweetener or erythritol are both fantastic options.
- Baking powder– Gives the mug cake some rise and fluffiness.
- Almond Butter– Smooth or drippy sugar free almond butter, with no added salt. You can also use peanut butter or sunflower seed butter, or even butter.
- Unsweetened applesauce– Keeps the mug cake moist, without adding any excess carbs. While applesauce isn’t traditionally keto, the amount used is super minimal.
- Milk of choice– To mix the mug cake and make a smooth batter. Any milk works, like coconut milk or almond milk.
- Chocolate Chips– Optional, but highly recommended to give an extra dose of chocolate. Be sure to use keto chocolate chips or a chopped up keto chocolate bar.
Start by greasing a microwave-safe bowl or ramekin with cooking spray or butter. In a small mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Then, add your wet, except for the chocolate chips. Fold through the chocolate chips and transfer to the ramekin/bowl. Microwave for one minute. If your mug cake is undercooked, microwave in 20 second bursts until done. Remove from the microwave and let sit for 30 seconds, before enjoying it.
Can I make this mug cake in the oven?
I understand not everyone owns a microwave, nor feels comfortable using one and that is completely fine! This keto chocolate mug cake can be made in a toaster oven or traditional oven.
Simply preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease an oven-safe dish (I used a 10-inch ramekin) and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until your desired consistency is reached!
Just be wary that oven temperatures differ, so it’s best to continually check up on it from the 8-minute mark. Remember, because of the condensed space the cake is in, it will continue to cook until removed from it!
Mug Cake Tips
- Try not to use a small ramekin or bowl, to ensure there is no overspilling of the cake batter. Use a deep cereal bowl or larger ramekin.
- This keto mug cake is eggless, so if you’d prefer a gooey chocolate mug cake, remove it at the one minute mark, and let sit for 20 seconds.
- Do not substitute the coconut flour for another flour, as this is imperative for the best mug cake texture.
- Mug cakes are best to be enjoyed immediately. They don’t store or freeze well.
More Keto Chocolate Desserts
Keto Chocolate Mug Cake (NO eggs!)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter * See notes
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce can use pumpkin puree
- 1-2 tablespoon milk of choice I used coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips of choice Optional
- In a microwave safe bowl or cereal bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add your almond butter (or nut/seed butter of choice), unsweetened pumpkin puree and mix well. Using a tablespoon, add your liquid of choice and mix until a gooey batter remains.
- Microwave for 50 seconds- 2 minutes (depending on what wattage your microwave has) and enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease an oven-safe ramekin. Follow the microwave instructions but bake the chocolate cake in oven for 10-12 minutes, checking up at the 8-minute mark!