Calling all McDonald’s lovers! Learn how to make a Sausage McMuffin at home! Made with just 4 ingredients, it’s healthier, tastier, and the perfect copycat recipe of the popular breakfast sandwich.
The Best Sausage McMuffin Recipe
Unpopular opinion: McDonald’s breakfast menu is far more superior that their everyday menu.
Their menu offers some of the most delicious offerings, including hotcakes, bacon egg and cheese biscuits, and everyone’s favorite sausage and egg McMuffin.
As a family, we used to order this at least once a week but haven’t for quite some time.
It’s SO easy to make at home and is both more affordable and more delicious! It’s actually healthier too, and we know exactly what goes in it.
With this copycat recipe (like our Spicy chicken sandwiches!), you can make sausage egg McMuffins in the comfort of your own home and have leftovers to last you for a week of breakfasts!
What is the Sausage Egg McMuffin made of?
A typical McDonald’s McMuffin typically contains an English muffin, American cheese, a sausage patty, and a pat of butter. Most often request the egg too, so we’ll be including that in our homemade recipe! Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Eggs. Room temperature.
- Sausage. Use your favorite frozen breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean Original breakfast patties and Bob Evans pork sausage tastes exactly like the one used at McDonald’s) or try a homemade breakfast sausage.
- American cheese. For an authentic flavor, use Kraft American cheese singles or something similar (there are tons of cheaper brands available).
- English muffins. We like using wholewheat English muffins, but again, any work.
How to make a sausage McMuffin?
Making homemade McDonald’s sausage muffins is simple: just be sure you’ve cooked up your homemade or frozen breakfast sausage prior to preparing the other ingredients. If you are making the sausage from scratch, prepare them first and, during their final five minutes of cooking, prepare everything else.
Step 1- Fry the eggs
To replicate the eggs like McDonald’s does AND for them to fit the English muffin perfectly, use egg rings. You simply place them in the frying pan and crack your eggs into them and they turn out thick and circular. If you don’t have one, a simple fried egg works a treat!
Start by lightly greasing your pan with a little olive oil or butter. Grease the egg rings, then place them in the pan. Crack an egg into each one and fry for 1-2 minutes, before carefully flipping over and cooking for a further minute.
Step 2- Toast the muffins
While the eggs are cooking toast the English muffins. If you like, you can spread a little butter on both sides, but it is completely up to you.
Step 3- Heat and assemble
To one muffin half, add the cheese, followed by the sausage patty, then the fried egg. Top it with the other muffin half and enjoy immediately.
Dietary swaps and variations
The beauty of these homemade McMuffins is how easy they are to customize: from the meat, to the bread, to the calories! Here’s what you can try:
- Use different meat like ground chicken, ground beef, or even ground venison.
- Make it vegetarian by using your favorite vegetarian breakfast patty or simply omitting the sausage.
- Cut the carbs by replacing the English muffin with a keto English muffin or 90-second keto bread.
- Use different cheeses like cheddar, Pepper Jack or even goat cheese slices.
- Lower the calories by using egg whites instead of the whole egg and low fat American cheese.
Make ahead and storage info
What we love about these homemade sausage McMuffins is that they work for meal prep and you can make enough to last you the week or up to two months. Here are best practices for storage:
- Up to 1 week: Wrap each prepared sandwich in parchment paper, place them in individual ziplock bags and then store them in the refrigerator.
- 1 week or more: Wrap each breakfast sandwich in parchment paper AND tin foil. Store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
When ready to enjoy, either microwave for 20-30 seconds or in a panini/sandwich press until you hear it sizzling.
FAQS about this McDonald’s Sausage McMuffin
How much is a sausage McMuffin?
Currently, the sausage McMuffin retails at $4.47 plus tax. This is quite standard in other western countries like the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia.
Is a sausage McMuffin healthy?
Compared to other menu items, a McMuffin is a healthy option. With just 383 calories, it makes a balanced and satisfying breakfast. It has moderate amounts of protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
Does sausage from McDonald’s have pork?
The American sausage patties use pork in them. However, countries like Australia, Singapore, and New Zealand use beef.
Sausage McMuffin calories
The original McMuffin has 383 calories. The sausage patty has 145 calories, the English muffin has 175 calories, the cheese has 55 calories, and the pat of butter on each muffin has 8 calories.
The sausage egg McMuffin calories clocks in around 452.
More savory breakfast recipes to try
Sausage McMuffins Recipe with 4 Ingredients!
- 4 English muffins
- 4 breakfast sausage patties * See notes
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices American cheese
- Prepare your sausage breakfast patties as instructed.
- Add some oil to a non-stick pan. Once hot, add four egg rings on top and add an egg to each one. Let it fry for 1-2 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove the eggs off the heat.
- Toast the English muffins. On one half, add the cheese, followed by a sausage patty, and an egg. Top with the other half of the muffin and enjoy immediately.