This microwave English muffin makes the perfect single-serving breakfast that takes just 5 ingredients and 90 seconds to make. Oven instructions included!
Now, the idea of making an English muffin in the microwave may sound odd, but I promise, once you give this recipe a try, you’ll be amazed at how satisfying it is!
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- Ready in under 2 minutes. Yes, that’s right, you can have one fresh, warm, bouncy English muffin on the table in 90 seconds (like my low calorie English muffin).
- Made in one bowl. All you do is combine the ingredients right in the ramekin, then pop it in the microwave. It’s that easy, and cleanup is a breeze!
- Gluten-free. Like my keto English muffin, no flour is needed, though the results are every bit as satisfying as traditional muffins.
- Simple ingredients. So long as you have a few staples in your kitchen, you can always make a fluffy, moist, buttery English muffin.
What we love about this recipe is just how versatile it is. When I’m feeding the family, I can make 4 or 5 with minimal extra cooking time. Then, I freeze whatever we don’t eat. They make a great backup bread option, just like these pumpkin English muffins.
Like I mentioned, you only need a few simple ingredients to make these muffins.
- Butter. I prefer using unsalted butter, so I have more control over how much salt gets added.
- Almond flour. Blanched almond flour is best since it tends to make for a fluffier, lighter muffin.
- Baking powder. This gives the muffin some rise and added fluffiness.
- Salt. Just a pinch goes a long way. If you’re using salted butter, use less salt or add it after the muffin is done cooking.
- Egg white. To bind the rest of the ingredients together.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How to make microwaved English muffins
Step 1- Grease the ramekin. Melt the butter in the ramekin, then brush all sides to ensure it’s well-greased.
Step 2- Combine the ingredients. Combine almond flour, baking powder, and salt in the greased ramekin. Whisk in the egg white.
Step 3- Microwave. Microwave the muffin for 90 seconds or until the edges separate from the rim of the ramekin. Let it cool for 2 minutes before serving.
Can I make this in the oven?
Yes! Despite the name, you can in fact make these English muffins in the oven. Simply pour the batter into an oven-safe ramekin and bake in a 350F/180C oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges separate from the ramekin and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Recipe tips and variations
- Toast the muffins. I highly recommend toasting the muffins after they’re done cooking since this gives them a nice crispy exterior while keeping the inside fluffy.
- Check periodically. Everyone’s microwaves are different, so the muffins may take longer to cook, depending on the wattage. If they’re not done after 90 seconds, continue cooking in 20-second intervals, checking in between each.
- Fork split the muffins. I can not stress this enough– it makes a difference! By fork splitting instead of slicing, you keep the delicate nooks and crannies inside the muffin.
- Add cheese. Occasionally, I like to add 1 tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese for an extra flavor boost.
To store: Leftover English muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
To freeze: Store leftover muffins in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the muffins to thaw overnight in the fridge before slicing and toasting them.
Frequently asked questions
Technically no, you don’t have to toast English muffins to eat them. That said, I think their texture is drastically improved when they are toasted. The exterior gets a pleasant crispiness while the interior remains light and fluffy.
Yes, by swapping the egg white with 3 tablespoons of aquafaba, you can get much of the same consistency but with vegan ingredients.
More microwavable recipes to try
- 90 second bread– Easy low-carb bread made with 3 different cooking methods.
- Peanut butter fudge– Decadent, creamy fudge made with 2 ingredients (and a little flaky sea salt).
- Muffin in a mug– The perfect vegan-friendly muffin recipe made with fresh blueberries.
- Coffee mug cake– A great single-serving treat with an easy streusel topping.
- Protein mug cake– Tastes like a gooey brownie but totally guilt-free.
Microwave English Muffin
- Melt butter in a ramekin and brush all sides to ensure it is well greased.
- Add almond flour, baking powder, and salt and mix well. Whisk in the egg white.
- Microwave for 90 seconds. Let cool for 30 seconds before removing.
Recipe originally published September 2014 but updated to include new information and a newly improved recipe for your benefit.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.