These ground beef recipes will guarantee you’ll never be in a dinner rut again! With over 40 easy and quick recipes to try, they are all healthy with plenty of keto options!
Ground beef is one of my favorite protein options to use for easy dinners. It’s quick to prepare, very affordable, and easily available at grocery stores and butchers.
What I love about cooking with ground beef is just how versatile it is. It’s a fantastic base for casseroles, soups, and stir-fries, and the star ingredient in many popular dishes, like meatballs and tacos.
What are the 3 types of ground beef?
There are over three kinds of ground beef, but the most popular and used one are ground chuck, ground round, and ground sirloin.
- Ground chuck– Also known as 80/20 ground beef. This means it contains 20% fat, and is the fattiest cuts of all ground beef.
- Ground round– Also known as 85/15 ground beef. It contains 15% fat and is a good middle ground for any recipe that calls for ground beef.
- Ground Sirloin– has a maximum fat content of 10%. It is the leanest cut of ground beef and isn’t as juicy or flavorful as the other two kinds.
What to make with ground beef?
While there are a plethora of family favorite dinners that use ground beef, one dish that we should all have in our back pockets is sloppy joes. It’s an easy recipe that comes together in minutes and is perfect for a foolproof dinner. Here is how to make it.
- Olive oil– To fry everything in.
- Onion and garlic– Adds flavor and a must for any recipe that calls for ground beef.
- Ground beef– Lean or extra lean ground beef is preferred. If you use ground beef with a higher fat content, you will need to discard the excess fatty liquid before adding the other ingredients.
- Tomato paste– Also known as tomato concentrate.
- Worcestershire sauce– Adds a robust punch of flavor.
- Tomato sauce– Also known as tomato passata. Opt for a no added sugar option.
- Ketchup OR bbq sauce– To keep it low carb, use keto ketchup or keto bbq sauce.
- Brown sugar substitute- Homemade keto brown sugar to give all the flavor, minus the carbs and sugar!
- Apple cider vinegar– Omit this if you use bbq sauce.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Buns or rolls– I love using my favorite keto buns, keto rolls, or even keto hot dog buns.
Start by adding the oil to a large non-stick pan or skillet and placing it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the ground beef and break apart using a rubber spatula. Cook the ground beef until no longer pink.
Next, add the remaining ingredients, except for the salt and pepper, and bring everything to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer for 15 minutes.
Now, taste the sloppy joe filling and add salt and pepper to taste. Remove the pan from the heat and scoop out heaping portions onto buns or rolls and serve immediately.
How do you pick good ground beef?
It’s always recommended purchasing ground beef from a butcher, as they have the most fresh meat on offer. If that is not an option, choose ones from the grocery store that have the longest sell-by and use-by date.
We also considered organic and grass fed ground beef being the best tasting, due to how they are farmed. While more expensive, they are the more ethical and delicious option. Avoid generic ‘hamburger’ or generically labeled ‘ground beef’, as those are typically off cuts or from unknown sources.
Storing, freezing and thawing instructions
- To store: Leftover cooked ground beef can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled beef in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to six months.
- Reheating: Microwave the filling in 30-second spurts until warm and sizzling.
Ground beef dinner ideas
These are the BEST ground beef recipes and dinner ideas that are easy to make and taste delicious. You’ll find options using all cuts of ground beef and hamburger, including a few cheeky hamburger recipes too. You’ll find plenty of meals using this fabulous protein, including lots of keto and healthy options. Thousands of people have made these family favorite recipes and all have 5 star reviews!
Ground beef recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Minced beef and ground beef are the same thing. The former is the term used in commonwealth countries like Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. In some countries, ground beef is often referred to as hamburger.
Fresh hamburger (or ground beef) can be frozen for up to six months. You MUST thaw it out for 24 hours prior to cooking it.
All three kinds of ground beef are healthy, with plenty of protein in them. However, the ground sirloin, also known as lean ground beef, is the most healthy. Per 4 ounce serving, there is just 130 calories, 24 grams of protein and just 2 grams of fat.
40 Best Ground beef Recipes (5 star rated!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef lean or extra lean
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce passata
- 1/2 cup ketchup I used sugar free ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute or traditional brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a large non-stick pan, add the olive oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and onion and cook until fragrant. Add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break it apart. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer for 15 minutes, until thick.
- Remove the sloppy joe mix from the heat and serve over buns or rolls.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.