Have chicken on hand and not sure what to cook for dinner? These healthy chicken recipes will have you covered! Included are secret tricks on how to cook chicken breast perfectly!
Chicken is the most popular and affordable protein sources out there. It’s easily the foundations of many dinners out there. Growing up, it was the primary animal protein we ate in our household.
With many of us following a healthier diet, it’s always handy to have some healthy chicken breast recipes in our arsenal.
Benefits of eating chicken breast
- Low calorie– Chicken breast is fantastic on a weight loss or low calorie diet, because it contains just 110 calories per 4 ounce serving and 24 grams of protein.
- Mood booster– Poultry, especially chicken, contains the amino acid, tryptophan, whish is associated with serotonin. Serotonin is often referred to as the ‘feel good’ hormone.
- Full of nutrients– Vitamin B12, zinc, and iron are all key nutrients found in chicken.
What is the healthiest way to cook chicken?
The healthiest ways to cook chicken are steaming, grilling, poaching and baking. All four techniques require minimal oil but keep plenty of flavor.
Out of these four methods, nothing beats a perfectly grilled chicken breast. When cooked correctly, it is extra flavorful and will NEVER turn our rubbery or dry. Not only is it easy and delicious, but it’s healthy too.
How to cook chicken breast?
- Chicken breasts– Skinless and boneless chicken. If your fillets are big/thick, you can slice them length ways.
- Olive oil– The most flavorful oil for any chicken marinade.
- Lemon juice– Freshly squeezed is preferred, but bottled or jarred juice works.
- Garlic– Freshly minced garlic or bottled garlic, not garlic powder.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic until combined. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper then add it to a ziplock bag, along with the marinade. Refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
Now, preheat a grill to medium/high heat. Brush the grills with some oil and, once hot, add the chicken breasts on top. Grill for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165C, remove them from the grill and serve immediately.
Storing, freezing and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftover chicken should be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled chicken in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Microwave the chicken for 30-40 seconds or reheat stovetop.
What to make with chicken?
Chicken and chicken breast fillets are so versatile, they can be used in a plethora of recipes. You can use pre-cut chicken breast fillets
Here are the BEST boneless chicken breast recipes you need right now. You’ll find recipes using grilled chicken, baked chicken, and more unique (but easy) ways to use this poultry! Chicken has the unfair stigma of being dry or bland, but these recipes using chicken breast prove otherwise- They all have 5-star ratings!
Healthy Chicken Recipes
Baked chicken wings
Frequently Asked Questions
Losing weight is a matter of calories in and calories out. Chicken breast is a fantastic, low calorie protein option to consume. Per 100 gram serving (4 ounces), there are just 110 calories and over 24 grams of protein.
Studies show diets higher in protein keep you fuller for longer, which will ease any unnecessary snacking.
Both grilled chicken and baked chicken are healthy options and have a similar nutritional profile.
Contrary to popular believe, chicken does not lose nutrients when boiled. However, if you over-boil the chicken, you risk the meat drying out.
Healthy Chicken Recipes (5 Star rated!)
- 4 chicken breasts 4 oz each
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Season your chicken breast fillets with the salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
- Transfer everything into a ziplock bag and use your hands to mix the chicken into the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Brush the grills with some oil. Once hot, remove the chicken breast fillets from the ziplock bag and place them on the grill. Cook the chicken for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165C, remove them from the heat.
- Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.