Just started a healthy or weight loss diet and struck on what to have for breakfast? These healthy breakfast ideas are your solution! Over 100 EASY and DELICIOUS breakfast recipes, including the healthiest breakfast in the world!
When you first embark on a weight loss or healthy eating plan, starting the day with a healthy meal sets the tone for the rest of the day.
There is a false assumption that skipping breakfast promotes weight loss or is key to a healthy diet. However, studies show that eating breakfast every day actually keeps the metabolism working at optimum speed, which is key to maintaining a healthy weight.
While some people can stick to the same breakfast every day, those of us who follow any sort of diet NEED some variety. With so many options out there, it’s hard to navigate what is healthy and what is not.
What is the healthiest breakfast to have?
A healthy breakfast is one that has adequate calories to keep you going for several hours and hits the main macronutrients- protein, fat, and fiber. This combination promotes fat burning and also keeps hunger at bay.
My favorite easy healthy breakfast which ticks all those boxes is toast with avocado and eggs.
- Bread– While any bread works (including low calorie bread or keto bread), the healthiest kinds are high in fiber and slow digesting. These include wholegrain bread, sourdough bread, or bread that has nuts and seeds mixed through.
- Avocado– The ‘healthy fat’ proportion of this breakfast. Half a medium avocado contains 15 grams of heart healthy fats and 10 grams of fiber.
- Salt, pepper, and lemon juice– To mix with the avocado to add extra flavor. Alternatively, you can make guacamole.
- Eggs– The protein portion! One large egg has 7 grams of protein and the healthiest ways to cook them are pan fried, boiled, or poached.
- Seasonings– To taste.
Start by lightly toasting your bread. While it is toasting, prepare the avocado. In a small bowl, mash the avocado until mostly smooth. Add the salt, pepper, and lemon juice and mix until combined. Spread it over the toast.
Now, fry, poach, or soft boil your egg. Once cooked, add it over the avocado toast. Sprinkle with your favorite seasonings and serve immediately.
Storing, freezing, and meal prepping instructions
- To store: Bread and avocado mix can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days. Boiled eggs will keep for up to one week.
- To freeze: Bread can be frozen for up to six months in a ziplock bag. Do not freeze the cooked eggs or avocado.
- To meal prep: For one week, boil five eggs and have three avocados on hand. Ensure there are at least 5 slices of bread ready to be toasted.
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Here are the BEST healthy breakfast recipes and ideas to make your healthy diet exciting, easy to stick to, and delicious. You’ll find sweet breakfasts, savory breakfasts, oatmeal, smoothies, pancakes, and more. Having plenty of options helps you stay on track, and we have over 100 easy and healthy breakfast ideas for you to try. Breakfast time should never be complicated or time consuming and these recipes prove just that- they’ve been made thousands of times and all have 5 star reviews!
Low calorie smoothies (6 flavors!)
Protein shakes (40 flavors!)
Frequently Asked Questions
The best breakfast for losing weight is one that is low in calories (under 300 calories), high in protein and fiber, and with moderate amounts of fat. This promotes satiety and will keep hunger at bay for hours.
While no foods should be off limits, heavily fried foods and foods loaded with sugar are not the best breakfast options. They will lead to a sugar crash and energy levels will be all over the place.
We consider breakfast to be the healthiest meal as it kick starts the metabolism and sets you up for consistent eating throughout the day.
Healthy Breakfast Recipes (5 star rated!)
- 1 slice bread wholegrain or sourdough
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- Toast your bread. While it is toasting, mash the avocado with the salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Once the bread has toasted, spread the avocado on top.
- Coat a non-stick pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Once hot, crack the egg and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the whites are done.
- Remove the egg from the pan and place it over the avocado toast.