These 30+ healthy dinner ideas will ensure you never run out of healthy options to feed your family. From effortless weeknight dinners to make-ahead casseroles fit for a crowd, the options are limitless.
I know from experience how easy it can be to get caught up in routine and find yourself making the same dinners repeatedly. It’s even harder when you’re trying to come up with healthy recipes.
So, to make sense of the countless dinner recipes I’ve created, I decided to pull them all together to create a complete list of the top 30+ best healthy recipes for dinner.
Table of Contents
Tips for planning a healthy dinner
We’re all creatures of habit, so breaking out of our dinner rut and trying new things can be hard. Here are some of the tips I’ve found most helpful when trying to come up with tasty (and healthy) dinner ideas:
- Make a plan. The last thing you want to do when you’re hungry is debate over what to have for dinner. Planning a week of recipes ahead of time makes it easy and eliminates decision fatigue.
- Pick a theme. Instead of making 7 unique dinner recipes every week, pick a theme and batch-cook ingredients to save time throughout the week.
- Take advantage of freezer-friendly meals. Make double batches of freezer-friendly dinners like spaghetti squash casserole. When you’re short on time or don’t feel like running to the store, you can just unwrap it and pop it in the oven.
Healthy chicken recipes
Chicken is a go-to protein in our house since it’s naturally lean and versatile. Here are some of our (and your) favorite healthy dinner recipes using chicken.
- Asian chicken salad– This hearty salad is filled with fresh Asian flavors and crispy chicken tenders in an almond butter dressing.
- Air fryer whole chicken– Effortlessly cook an entire chicken in less than an hour and with way less oil than other cooking methods.
- Pollo guisado– Comfort food at its finest, this Puerto Rican chicken stew is made with tender chicken thighs, hearty potatoes, and green olives in a light aromatic broth.
- Baked chicken tenderloin– Juicy baked chicken ready and on the table in 30 minutes.
- Avocado chicken salad– Chunks of chicken breast tossed in creamy avocado, corn, and bacon in a zesty lime dressing.
- Grilled chicken wings– I’ll never say no to a plate of chicken wings, especially when they’re grilled to perfection.
- Sheet pan chicken and veggies– Juicy chicken breast baked in the oven with an assortment of veggies. This is the perfect weeknight dinner that’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
Healthy beef dinners
- No bean chili– Warm, hearty, and comforting, this bean-free chili is made with juicy ground beef and the perfect balance of seasonings.
- Grilled marinated flank steak– A naturally lean cut of meat, we marinate this flank steak in an addictive honey and soy sauce marinade.
- Healthy meatloaf– Made with a handful of wholesome ingredients, this is the perfect healthy version of hearty meatloaf.
- Lasagna with cottage cheese– Transform traditional lasagna into this protein-rich version with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Each serving packs 35 grams of protein!
- Steak salad– A hearty salad with mixed greens and sirloin steak tossed in a tangy balsamic vinaigrette.
Light and healthy seafood dinners
Whenever I’m on a health kick, I always find myself making a lot of seafood dishes. Not only is it naturally lean and high in healthy omega-3 fatty acids, but it’s a no-fuss ingredient that cooks quickly.
- Air fryer salmon– A weeknight favorite. Tender, flaky salmon cooked in just 6 minutes. Serve it with orzo salad or roasted brussels sprouts.
- Shrimp fajitas– Seasoned and marinated shrimp served with tender peppers and onions and piled high on tortillas with fresh toppings.
- Grilled haddock– Naturally buttery and flavorful, this grilled haddock comes together with just 4 ingredients and 10 minutes or less.
- Branzino– AKA European bass, branzino is a widely popular Mediterranean dish that’s surprisingly easy to cook, low-fat, and incredibly flavorful.
Healthy vegetarian dinners
I’m a big fan of Meatless Mondays, so we always tend to have at least one or two vegan dinners per week. Each of these recipes is plant-based, full of flavor, and most are gluten-free as well.
- Cauliflower steaks– Swap the butter for olive oil and you’ve got hearty, tender cauliflower steaks with plenty of serving options.
- Vegan chili– On days when you need to cozy up with a warming, flavorful meal, this hearty vegan chili is for you.
- BBQ tofu– 2 simple ingredients are all that’s needed to make this versatile tofu recipe. Multiple cooking options are included.
- Channa masala– Craving curry flavors? It doesn’t get better than this aromatic one-pot Indian-inspired dish.
- Tuscan white bean soup– Turn a can of white beans into a super flavorful soup with just one pot and 30 minutes.
Gluten-free dinner recipes
Being gluten-free can be tricky, but if you focus on all the things you can eat, you’ll realize the options are endless.
- Venison roast– A warm, hearty roast made with naturally lean venison and tender veggies.
- Buttercup squash soup– Roasted buttercup squash blends into a creamy, savory, caramelized soup.
- Ground turkey soup– Who knew ground turkey could taste this good? All you need is ground turkey, bacon, veggies, and coconut milk to make it extra creamy.
- Cauliflower pizza– The healthy version of everyone’s favorite takeout, made with a chewy cauliflower crust and your favorite pizza toppings.
Lower carb healthy dinners
Going low-carb doesn’t have to be boring. These dinner recipes keep things interesting and help you stay on track with your weight loss goals.
- Eggplant lasagna– Swap the pasta for tender eggplant slices, and you’ve got a low-carb, high-protein dinner in 45 minutes.
- Zucchini boats– As much as I love using leftover zucchini to make healthy zucchini bread, I have to admit these zucchini boats are a great low-carb dinner idea.
- Sous vide pork chops– Fried pork chops are great, but they’re not very healthy. This recipe makes for equally juicy and succulent pork chops with less oil. No sous vide required.
- Lamb kabobs– Savory marinated lamb grilled until slightly charred on the outside yet juicy on the inside, along with an assortment of rainbow peppers and onions.
Frequently Asked Questions
A healthy dinner is one that is a combination of protein, healthy fats, and fiber. It should keep you satisfied until the next morning, with no excess snacking or dessert.
A calorie controlled dinner (ideally under 400 calories) that is high in protein and fiber is a fantastic dinner option for those following a weight-loss diet. All the recipes in this post have less than 400 calories per serving and well balanced.
These healthy dinner recipes make four servings. This is great for two people, as there are two extra portions to enjoy later this week. Alternatively, you can halve all the recipes.
30+ Healthy Dinner Recipes
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil into a non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for a minute, until fragrant. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the orange juice, soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar and cornstarch. Let everything simmer for several minutes, before adding the chicken back in. Cook for a further two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and serve the chicken over brown rice or noodles.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.