A delicious healthy chocolate brownie with a hint of mint which takes just one minute to make in the microwave but comes with a tested oven option too! So moist, fudgy and loaded with chocolate flavor, this quick and easy brownie is naturally gluten free, paleo, vegan and sugar free!
Friends, there’s been something on my mind lately.
I think I want to marry a carrot.
Okay, now while I let you ponder on the possibility of actually marrying a vegetable, let’s talk mint VS peppermint.
I was skyping with Niki the other day and amidst her current life dramas (she ripped her skirt, she accidentally wore flip flops to work instead of heels and how some guy told her she looked like Kim Kardashian’s ugly sister), I (stupidly) asked her if ‘peppermint brownie’ sounded better than ‘mint brownie’.
She said neither.
She would just brush her teeth before eating a normal brownie if she wanted some mint flavor.
You guys, this girl is something.
Anyway, we went into the debate of mint VS peppermint, so much that we were seeing if saying it in an English accent made much of a difference.
Anyway, what resulted was an on skype taste test of 3 flavors of chewing gum (sweet mint, mint and peppermint) for us to reach a solid conclusion- The sweet mint was barely minty but tasted the best; The peppermint was suitable for those who’d just eaten a cake made out of garlic. The classic ‘mint’ one was juuuuuuust right and would be the best marriage to something with chocolate.
So there. Mint Chocolate Brownie it is!
In full disclosure, my sister’s commentary was not taken into consideration. She said that Starburst’s newest chewing gum range was delicious.
Before we get into today’s recipe, let’s see what the eats have been lately- A full day of eats from the other day!
Breakfast- Unpictured- I’ve been noshing on bagels like a BOSS. Snack- Today’s pretty amazing recipe- Confession- I ate two- One mid-shoot and one after- for quality control. Lunch- I was going out to dinner to this Japanese restaurant which had good quality, cheap seafood. I had a light lunch of a few pieces of this carrot breakfast cake. Dinner- So, I went to town- Mixed sizzling seafood, Teriyaki salmon and steamed rice.
Now onto today’s recipe- This healthy 1-minute mint chocolate brownie!
I’m sticking closely with my intentions of sharing reader’s request recipes! Even though I’ve shared several mint recipes on here before (no bake peppermint mocha bites, chewy mint chocolate chip protein bars and no bake thin mint cookies), none of them involve being baked! When reader Ellen requested a mint infused cake, I knew this healthy chocolate brownie with a hint of mint ticked the bill!
This healthy one minute chocolate brownie with a hint of mint is so moist, fudgy and packed with chocolate goodness, you’d think it was some calorie bomb, but it’s anything but- It’s ridiculously healthy! It has no butter, oil, white flour or sugar but I promise you can’t tell! It literally takes one minute to whip up in the microwave or between 12-15 minutes if you use an oven/toaster oven.Not a fan of mint? This can totally be made without- Simply leave out the mint extract and be left with an uber chocolatey brownie! For those of varying diets, it’s also naturally gluten free, paleo, sugar free and vegan!
HACK! If you go the flax egg route VS the standard egg, you’ll be able to cut the cooking time even more and be left with an ultra gooey center- Similar to a deep dish brownie cake! This is the same for those opting for the oven option!
Make this delicious one minute healthy chocolate brownie with a hint of mint and please- Don’t take a leaf out of Niki’s book.
If you want a hint of mint, add the extract- Don’t brush your teeth prior.
Healthy 1 Minute Mint Chocolate Brownie
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour sifted
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1- tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice I used a monk fruit blend*
- pinch mint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg or egg white sub for 1 flax egg to keep it vegan
- 1/4 cup + dairy free milk of choice**
- Sugar free or dairy free chocolate chips optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the dairy free milk with the egg (or flax egg) and whisk with the mint extract. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined. If batter is still crumbly, continue adding dairy free milk one tablespoon at a time, until a thick batter is formed.
- Grease a microwave or oven safe bowl and generously and pour the batter. Top with optional chocolate chips and microwave for at least 50 seconds, depending on the microwave.
- Follow directions as above but bake in a preheated toaster oven or oven for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
** Depending on the brand of coconut flour, almond flour and cocoa powder you use, you may need more. Adjust accordingly.
Peppermint or mint?
Are you a fan of the Simpsons?
Best thing you’ve eaten lately?