This chocolate chip mug cake is light, fluffy, and moist, with plenty of chocolate chips! Made without eggs and without dairy, it’s a single serving dessert perfect to satisfy the sweet tooth! Under 200 calories for the entire mug cake.
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
While I am all for the fancy cake and dessert flavors, most of the time, the simple flavors are what tantalizes my taste buds. I think that is why a vanilla cake will always be my favorite kind of cake. That is also what inspired me to make a single mug cake version of it!
This is my current favorite dessert to make when I’m craving a little something after dinner. I’m not someone who enjoys having lots of dessert leftovers in my fridge, so having the possibility to make a single serving version has been a lifesaver! It requires less than a minute to prep and just a minute to make in the microwave! When you want a decadent and satisfying dessert in less than 5 minutes, this is your answer.
It uses simple and easy ingredients and no dairy or eggs whatsoever. That is perfect for those wanting a vegan dessert, and it can also be made gluten free.
Don’t worry if you don’t use a microwave- this recipe comes with instructions to make it in the oven!
How do you make a chocolate chip mug cake?
- All purpose flour– Either plain flour or gluten free flour. If you use gluten free flour, be sure to use a brand that has xanthan gum added to it.
- Baking powder– Gives the mug cake some fluffiness and rise.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Any sweetener can be used. White sugar, unrefined sugar, or even sugar free substitutes, like erythritol or monk fruit sweetener.
- Vegan butter– Use vegan butter from a block, and not from a spread. The latter variety often have added water to them, which can affect the overall texture of the mug cake. If you don’t follow a vegan diet, traditional butter or margarine can be used.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened almond milk, but any milk of choice will work.
- Chocolate chips of choice– Use a mix of mini chocolate chips and traditional chocolate chips so the chocolate chips are distributed evenly in the cake.
In a small mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, and mix well. Fold through the chocolate chips, reserving a few to top the mug cake with. Transfer the cake batter into a microwave safe bowl or ramekin (6-8 inches) and microwave for 1 minute. If the cake isn’t cooked, continue microwaving in 10-second spurts until done.
Can I make this in the oven?
If you don’t own a microwave or would prefer to bake this in the oven instead, you can easily do so!
Simply grease a 6-inch ovenproof ramekin and bake at 180C/350F for 10-12 minutes, or until a skewer comes out the center clean.
Tips to make the best chocolate chip mug cake recipe
- Depending on the power capabilities of your microwave, you may need to cook your mug cake longer than indicated. If it isn’t cooked completely after one minute, continue to microwave in 20-second bursts until done.
- Use a mix of mini chocolate chips and standard chocolate chips so they disperse in the mug cake evenly.
- Easily double or triple this recipe if you’d like a larger mug cake or want to share it with a special someone.
- Do not prepare the batter in advance- make the cake just before you intend to eat it.
More Easy Mug Cake recipes
- Vanilla Mug Cake
- Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
- 100 calorie chocolate mug cake
- Protein Brownie
- Coffee Mug Cake
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
For the microwave version
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Add your softened butter and milk and whisk until combined. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Grease a large mug or microwave safe ramekin generously and pour the batter in it. Microwave for 1 minute.
For the oven version
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 6 inch ramekin with oil and set aside.
- Follow directions as above and once ready, bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.