Just five ingredients, 1 bowl and 10 minutes is needed to whip up these delicious no bake kettle corn granola bars! Sweet, salty and the added crunch makes this a texture lover’s dream! Vegan, dairy free, gluten free and a high protein option!
Healthy No Bake Kettle Corn Granola Bars
Oh, say can you see, by the dawn’s early light.
Okay, so I may have only learnt the first line of the Star Spangled Banner when I visited America. That’s because I only went to a handful of campus hockey matches (and besides I was more interested in the kiss cam!) and one NBA game….which I left at half time because I finished my hot dog and got bored. Something very interesting I learnt? The best thing about farmer’s markets in America is the bags of kettle corn.
When I first saw the bags of kettle corn, I thought it was a waste of money and a stupid name. I also thought the guy trying to pawn it off was a twat. Little did I know the twat was me.
I presumed it was simply popcorn which could be easily made in my microwave, or, if I was being fancy, at the movie theatre. Just kidding, I’m not paying the price of a small child for movie theatre popcorn. Back to topic. I kept declining the taste test offers even though my friends would flock to it like Kim Kardashian’s mum finding a new potential way to sell her kids to make money.
After three visits, I finally gave in and tasted this ‘kettle corn’. Oh my word. It was epic. EPIC. It wasn’t the popcorn in itself but the combination of sweet and salty which was like a party in my mouth. Oh Australia, why aren’t we selfish and picking both taste sensations? This was my new weekly tradition. Every Thursday when we went to the farmer’s market, I bought buy kettle corn.
So how does kettle corn fit into this recipe? Well, thanks to my Spectablend, I can grind or puree well…anything. The other week, instead of using puffed rice in a no bake recipe, I decided to blend up some leftover kettle corn into a finer consistency and voila- no need for any added salt to enhance the sweet and salty taste! A Vegan friendly, gluten free friendly and delicious no bake recipe which takes less than 10 minutes to whip up and of course- with a high protein option.
Australia- we need to get on this Kettle Corn bandwagon- stop with the fairy floss and snow cones!
[Healthy] No Bake Kettle Corn Granola Bars
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup gluten oat bran (can sub for all oats)
- 2 cups kettle corn, blended to a broken consistency
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice (I used almond butter)
- 1/2 cup + 1 T brown rice syrup (can sub for maple/agave or honey if not strictly vegan but need to increase by 2 T)
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- 2- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Dairy free chocolate chips, divided (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, oat bran, broken kettle corn, sweetener of choice and protein powder if using it.
- In a small saucepan or microwave safe bowl, combine the nut butter of choice with the brown rice syrup and heat until the mixture is melted completely.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Allow to cool slightly and stir through half the chocolate chips and mix very well.
- Line a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the pan and press firmly with your hands evenly. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Remove from the pan and cut into 8-10 bars.
- These bars can be kept outside the refrigerator for up to 1 week, otherwise store in the refrigerator. Try using a mild tasting nut butter like almond or cashew to maintain the kettle corn taste.
Are you a fan of kettle corn?
What is a typical foodie item at your farmer’s market/outdoor market?
Have you ever appeared on the ‘Kiss Cam’?