These homemade cosmic brownies have a fudgy base and are topped with a creamy frosting and candy buttons! No flour needed and made in one bowl!
It’s no secret I love recreating my favorite childhood treats.
Sure, I could easily buy a package (or ten…I am an adult!) whenever I want, but where is the fun in that? There are many benefits in making your favorite treats at home, and some of my go-to recipes include Cadbury creme eggs, kit kat bars, and cosmic brownies.
What are Cosmic brownies?
Cosmic brownies are a pre-packaged dessert by Little Debbie’s, who are famous for other packaged sweets like powdered donuts, mini muffins, and sweet rolls.
While fun and delicious to eat, they are full of processed and artificial ingredients, and full of hydrogenated oils and sugar. Instead of reaching for one, take a few minutes to make your own at home!
Why this cosmic brownie recipe will be a dessert favorite-
- No flour or grains needed. No flour (white, coconut, almond, or oat) is needed!
- Made in just one bowl. This means the clean up at the end is minimal!
- Diet friendly. There are options to make these brownies lower carb, vegan friendly, and/or gluten free.
What I love about these brownies is how perfect the texture is- Fudgy, gooey, and with a thick layer of rich frosting. After trying one of these, you’ll never look at a Little Debbie Brownie again!
What is a cosmic brownie made of?
- Chocolate– Any semi-sweet or dark chocolate works. I like using 80% Lindt chocolate, as it is lower in sugar and has no dairy in it.
- Butter– From a stick or block, not a spread.
- Sugar– White sugar is preferred, but brown or coconut sugar works.
- Eggs– Room temperature.
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened and sifted well, to ensure there are no clumps.
- Chocolate frosting– Skip the expensive store bought or pre-made kind and make a simple 2 ingredient frosting.
- Candy buttons– Any candy works!
Start by adding the chocolate and butter into a microwave-safe bowl and microwaving in 30-second ingredients until the butter has melted. Whisk together until smooth. Next, add the sugar then the eggs, one at a time, before stirring through the cocoa powder until completely combined.
Now, transfer the batter into a greased pan and bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out the center mostly clean. Let the brownies cool completely, before adding the frosting and the candy buttons. Slice the brownies and serve immediately.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
- Make them vegan. Swap out the eggs for vegan substitutes, like flax eggs, aquafaba, or an egg replacement.
- Cut the carbs. Use sugar free chocolate chips and a brown sugar substitute. For the frosting, use a keto chocolate frosting.
- Keep them gluten free. Use gluten free candy buttons.
- Swap out the dairy. Dairy free chocolate and dairy free butter work beautifully for these brownies.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to five days. If you’d like these brownies to keep longer, store them in the refrigerator.
- To freeze: Place the baked and frosted brownies in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More brownie recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
There are 290 calories in a Little Debbie’s Cosmic Brownie. Each brownie contains 13 grams of fat, 3 grams of protein and 39 grams of carbs. As there is only 1 gram of fiber, the net carbs are 38 grams.
My homemade version has the following nutritional breakdown- 202 calories, 16 grams of fat (0 saturated fats!), 10 grams of carbs (4 grams net carbs!!!) and 5 grams of protein.
As with any food, eaten in moderation, Cosmic Brownies can be part of a healthy diet. However, nutritionally speaking (and considering various diets), they aren’t particularly great for you.
If you’d like something healthier, try healthy brownies.
Enjoy these brownies without the candy buttons, if that is what you’d prefer.
Cosmic Brownies (NO flour!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate and butter and microwave in 30-second intervals until the butter has melted. Whisk together with the chocolate until smooth.
- Add the sugar then the eggs, one at a time, until combined, then stir through the cocoa powder until smooth.
- Transfer the batter into the lined pan and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Let the brownies cool completely, before spreading the frosting on top. Top with candy buttons and slice and serve.