An easy and healthy recipe for low carb keto chocolate chip cookie dough oatmeal which can be enjoyed hot or overnight oats style! Made with no grains, no flour, and no oats, this oatless oatmeal is a filling, hearty and satisfying breakfast! Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free.
Healthy Low Carb Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal
Ever since sharing my basic low carb keto oatmeal recipe, the flavor combinations have been coming out of my ears. I had to start with my all-time favorite-
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
The taste and texture of actual cookie dough, studded with chocolate chips, this healthy oatmeal recipe is the epitome of dessert for breakfast…you won’t believe it is super low carb, sugar-free and ketogenic friendly!
For those who aren’t following a low carb or oat-free diet, I’ve included an option using just that.
4 ingredients are all you’ll need to make the base, with the added extras to give it that cookie dough flavor and texture.
- Ground flax meal
- Chia Seeds
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Granulated Sweetener of choice
The fun part is adding homemade flourless keto cookie chunks, keto-friendly chocolate chips and a pinch of vanilla extract.
To take the cookie dough flavor up a notch (and give an added protein boost), you can also add a scoop of keto-friendly vanilla protein powder (this one tastes amazing).
Is oatmeal ketogenic?
Oatmeal is not considered ketogenic, nor is it allowed on a keto diet. Because it is primarily derived from carbohydrates, it would put keto followers out of ketosis.
This cookie dough oatmeal doesn’t use oats, which makes it the perfect oatless oatmeal.
Can I have oatmeal on a paleo diet?
Like the keto diet, oatmeal isn’t allowed on a paleo diet. Grains and wheat products are not allowed, and some have seen inflammation from using it.
What can be used instead of oatmeal?
If you follow a keto or paleo diet, today’s recipe will easily fill your oatmeal void! It doesn’t use any grains or wheat products and has the same taste and texture of oatmeal.
For those with an oat intolerance, you can substitute oats for quinoa flakes.
Is oatmeal good for losing weight?
Any food can be detrimental or positive for weight loss.
Oatmeal can be a fantastic food for weight loss- It’s high fiber and you can add some toppings to give it an extra nutritional boost. Be wary of packaged flavored oatmeal, as they tend to be loaded with sugar!
As mentioned earlier, this recipe includes an option of using oats. I prefer using old-fashioned oats, as they have a more filling texture and better flavor. You can use quick cooking oats or steel cut oats but will need to adjust the liquids (less for quick oats, more for steel cut oats).
Ways to make oatmeal more filling and healthy
You can easily make oatmeal or oatless oatmeal more filling and healthy. Ideally, you’d want it to keep you satisfied for a good few hours. Here are some tips and tricks to add some substance to your breakfast bowl-
- Use coconut milk or almond milk as your liquid of choice
- Stir through a tablespoon or two of your favorite nut or seed butter
- Fruit toppings– Strawberries, raspberries and kiwi fruit are all low sugar fruits and can be enjoyed on a ketogenic diet. This will provide fiber, volume, and natural sweetness.
- Nut toppings– Almonds, cashews and macadamia nuts are very low carb and have higher amounts of protein in them. They add some crunch and healthy fats.
- Seed toppings– Pepitas, sunflower seeds and poppy seeds add a nutty texture and are also high in fiber.
- Protein Powder– There are some good quality vegan and keto protein powders on the market. Adding a scoop to your bowl can give a hefty protein punch, along with some added sweetness.
- Chocolate Chips– low carb chocolate chips (Sweetened with stevia) or dairy free chocolate chips (paleo and vegan-friendly!) can make your morning bowl that much more delicious.
Recommended tools for making this Healthy Low Carb Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal (Paleo, Vegan)-
- Nonstick saucepan– This avoids any of the oatmeal base sticking to the pan- It’s also a super easy cleanup!
- Cereal bowls– These larger bowls are perfect for prepping individual bowls and are microwave-safe too!
- Spatula– To ensure the mixture is perfectly combined!
Healthy Low Carb Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal (Paleo, Vegan)
- In a small bowl, prepare your keto oatmeal base as directed, with the addition of vanilla extract and protein powder. Mix well.
- Add your chocolate chips and cookie chunks. Slowly add your milk of choice, until a thick, creamy texture remains. Start with 1/4 cup, then adjust accordingly.
- Either consume immediately or refrigerate overnight to enjoy later.