These breakfast bars make a healthy and satisfying breakfast recipe using just 3 ingredients! No flour, no eggs, and no butter needed, they come together in just 12 minutes.
If you’ve made my breakfast cookies before, you’ll no doubt be a fan of these healthy breakfast bars. They use oatmeal in the base and are packed with fiber and healthy fats to keep you full all morning.
Why this recipe works
- 3 Ingredients. Just oats, peanut butter, and banana are needed.
- Healthy. Like my oatmeal breakfast cookies, these have no flour, eggs, or butter in them, but you’d never tell!
- Ready in 12 minutes. These bars are a whiz to make, and the oven takes care of all the hard work.
- Vegan and gluten free. No eggs or dairy is used and the oats are gluten free, so you are covered.
What we love about this recipe is just how satisfying and hearty the bars are. They make a great portable breakfast and if you pair it with some protein coffee or a protein shake, this makes a well balanced meal to keep you energized for hours!
As we mentioned earlier, this recipe calls for just 3 basic ingredients which you’ll no doubt already have in your pantry. Here is what you’ll need:
- Rolled oats. Adds a chewy and hearty texture, while also being super high in fiber and protein. While quick oats will work, they won’t be as dense.
- Banana. Adds sweetness to the bars, along with some much needed moisture. Choose bananas that are on the riper side, as they are also much sweetener.
- Peanut butter. Smooth and drippy with no added sugar or salt. You can swap this out for almond butter or a nut free alternative like tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Chocolate chips. Optional, but I love to fold through a handful of chocolate chips because who doesn’t want to start their day with some chocolate?
How to make oatmeal breakfast bars
Start by mixing the oats, mashed banana, and peanut butter until a thick dough remains. If using chocolate chips, fold them through.
Next, transfer the mixture into a lined pan and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remover the breakfast bars from the oven and let them cool completely, before slicing and serving.
The beauty of these oatmeal breakfast bars is just how customizable they are. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Add protein. For an extra boost of protein and staying power, add 1/4 cup (34 grams) of your favorite protein powder to the batter. I like using a vanilla flavored one, but unsweetened works well.
- Make it nut free. Replace the peanut butter with either tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Swap out the oats. If you have an intolerance to oats or don’t trust gluten free ones, you can use quinoa flakes or buckwheat flakes.
- Replace the banana. Unsweetened applesauce and pumpkin puree both have a similar texture to mashed banana. However, if you do choose to swap this out, you’ll need to add some sugar or maple syrup.
- Add fruit. Fold through some fresh blueberries, strawberries, or diced peaches.
To store: Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to two days. If you’d like to keep them longer, store them in the refrigerator and they’ll keep for at least a week.
To freeze: Place the baked and cooled healthy bars in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
When made with certified gluten free oats, these bars are suitable for celiacs.
None of the ingredients are keto friendly. Try one of these keto breakfast ideas instead.
There is no need to add an egg as the banana binds everything together well.
Breakfast Bars (3 Ingredients)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all your ingredients and mix well. Fold in your chocolate chips, if using them.
- Transfer the batter to the lined pan and bake for 12 minutes, or until the top is firm.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let them cool completely, before slicing and serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.