Recreate the magic of s’mores at home with this quick and delicious smores protein bar recipe. Featuring marshmallows, chocolate, and Graham crackers, these make a fun and healthy snack.
My family loves my homemade protein bars so much so, I make them weekly. To change things up, I like to give them a little flavor spin and change up the base recipe with some fun variations. These include cookies and cream protein bars, pumpkin protein bars, and s’mores protein bars.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy to make. This no-bake recipe is so straightforward. It’s a great recipe to get your kids involved in. Don’t be surprised if you have no marshmallows to add to them.
- Versatile. These make a fabulous pre or post-workout snack, or something wholesome when the sweet tooth strikes. Sometimes, I finish my meal and satisfy my sweet tooth by sneaking in a bite of these protein bars.
- Great for making ahead. Like most snack bars, these are great to make in bulk. Whip a big batch over the weekend and enjoy a healthy and delicious snack for the rest of the week.
Love S’mores? Try my healthy s’mores granola.
These delicious snack bars are made with nutritionally dense ingredients and a couple of indulgent elements (smores and chocolate chips)! Here’s what you’ll need.
- Oat flour. Make your own oat flour using this simple recipe. Or you can get one in your regular supermarket.
- Coconut flour. You can get this versatile flour in any grocery store these days. Sift it before use to remove any lumps.
- Protein powder. Use your favorite protein powder. My go-to choices are generally chocolate or vanilla flavor protein powder as they go seamlessly with the this particular flavor.
- Granulated sweetener. Optional, but I like to add some coconut sugar or a sugar substitute (like allulose). If your protein powder is super sweet, you can omit this.
- Graham cracker crumbs. You get the perfect textural variety with these cracker crumbs. To make it at home, you can either pulse them on low in the processor or beat them out with a roller.
- Almond butter. It adds a fantastic flavor, healthy fats, and nuttiness to these healthy protein bars.
- Brown rice syrup. Or any liquid sweetener of choice. I sometimes use honey or agave nectar.
- Milk. To bring the bars together. I used unsweetened almond milk but use whichever milk you have on hand.
- Mini marshmallows. The star ingredient! Mini marshmallows are more evenly dispersed than the larger ones.
- Chocolate chips. Use milk, dark, semisweet, white, or a mix of different dairy-free chocolate chips.
How to make S’mores protein bars
While classic s’mores may not be the healthiest diet choices, these s’mores protein bars are super-tasty and filling snacks.
Step 1- Mix the dry ingredients. Combine dry ingredients like oat and coconut flour, protein powder, crushed Graham crackers, and granulated in a bowl.
Step 2- Make the protein bar mixture. Melt almond butter with the liquid sweetener in a microwave and pour it over the dry ingredients. Mix it until combined, and if crumbly, add milk to bring the batter together.
Step 3- Make protein bars. Once you have a thick batter, add chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Transfer the mixture to a large dish lined with greased baking paper and press it firmly.
Step 4- Refrigerate and enjoy. Allow the slab to firm up inside the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Once set, slice, and enjoy!
Recipe tips and variations
- Use the right protein powder. Your protein bars are only as good as your protein powder! Stick to the flavors you like and buy unsweetened casein or plant-based protein powders to make these bars.
- Adjust the thickness. I prefer my protein bars to be slightly thick. For thinner bars, go for a larger baking tray.
- Check the consistency of the batter. If the batter is too crumbly, add more milk to adjust the consistency of the mixture. You want it to be thick, dough-like.
- The gourmet appearance. Sprinkle some sea salt or drizzle melted chocolate or granola butter over the bar, and enjoy it in peace!
To store. S’mores protein bars keep well at room temperature for a week in a sealed container. To enjoy them for long, refrigerate them in airtight containers for over a month.
To freeze. You could also freeze them in freezer-safe bags for up to six months.
More protein bar recipes to try
- Chocolate protein bars
- Banana protein bars
- Vegan protein bars
- Snickers protein bars
- Protein granola bars
Frequently asked questions
Marshmallows often contain gelatin, a protein sourced from animals. So, if you follow a vegan lifestyle, buy plant-based marshmallows to make this recipe.
With healthy and nutrient-dense ingredients like oat flour, nut butter, and protein powder, these s’mores bars will fulfill your protein requirements. For a low-calorie option, substitute the sweeteners with sugar-free alternatives.
Certainly! The store-bought ones are highly processed and loaded with artificial flavors and sweeteners. Often, they don’t contain enough protein either. That’s why making your protein bars at home is a cheaper and healthier alternative.
S’mores Protein Bars
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour sifted
- 1/2 cup protein powder
- 2 tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice optional
- 2 tablespoon graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup can sub for honey or another sticky sweetener
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Line a large baking dish with greased baking paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your oat flour, coconut flour, protein powder, granulated sweetener and crushed graham cracker crumbs and set aside.
- If your almond butter is thick and lumpy melt it. Pour into your dry mixture and mix very well. If the mixture is still crumbly, use a tablespoon and add more milk as needed.
- Add your mini marshmallows and chocolate chips and transfer the bar batter into the lined pan and press firmly.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.