The best healthy carrot cake recipe which is not only vegan and eggless but completely gluten-free! Tender on the outside, moist on the inside, this simple one-bowl carrot cake loaf recipe is sugar free and dairy free too.
Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe (Gluten Free)
I’m all about healthy cake recipes. They are quick and easy to prepare and can be enjoyed for breakfast, a snack or a wholesome dessert. Some of my favorite cakes include the lemon poppy seed cake, blueberry cake, and the classic banana cake loaf.
It’s time for some carrot to join the tribe, and this one is a winner!
This carrot cake is one I’ve enjoyed for many years- It really is the best.
I stole it from my mum’s recipe book and gave it a few little tweaks. Naturally vegan and gluten-free, it’s also completely sugar free, eggless and dairy free too! A delicious healthy recipe which is SO easy to whip up.
Is carrot cake healthy?
Depending on the ingredients you use, carrot cake can be healthy. Traditional carrot cake is generally made with white flour, butter, several forms of sugar and eggs.
How many calories in carrot cake?
Store bought carrot cake can easily clock in over 500 calories, most of which is fat and sugar.
A slice of my homemade vegan and gluten-free carrot cake clocks in at a mere 180 calories, 4 grams of protein and a whopping 6 grams of fiber!
Is carrot cake vegan?
This carrot cake recipe is made without eggs and without dairy, so is suitable for a vegan diet.
Is carrot cake gluten-free?
This carrot cake recipe has been tested using a gluten-free flour blend, so can be made gluten-free.
Please take note that I have only tried this brand of gluten free flour– I cannot vouch for other brands.
How to make a vegan gluten-free carrot cake
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well.
Step 3: Add your wet ingredients, except for the shredded carrots. Mix very well, until fully incorporated. Fold in your shredded carrots.
Step 4: Pour the carrot cake batter in the greased pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
Step 5: Remove from the oven and allow the carrot cake to sit in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve immediately, or store away to consume later.
Does carrot cake need to be refrigerated?
Carrot cake can keep at room temperature, for up to 3 days. However, it is best kept refrigerated.
Refrigerate leftover carrot cake in a sealed container, for up to 1 week.
Can you freeze carrot cake?
This carrot cake is freezer friendly and can be kept frozen for up to 2 months.
It’s best to freeze the carrot cake either as a whole loaf or in individual portions. Cover in parchment paper and place in a sealed container, to avoid freezer burns.
Thaw the carrot cake in the refrigerator overnight, before enjoying.
More healthy carrot cake inspired recipes
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
- Low Carb Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- No Bake Carrot Cake Breakfast Bars
- Raw Keto Carrot Cake Bars
- Carrot Cake Protein Bars
Best Vegan Gluten Free Carrot Cake
- 2 cups wholewheat flour * See notes
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener of choice I used monk fruit
- 1/2 cup coconut milk Can sub for any milk of choice
- 1/4 cup avocado oil Can sub for canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree ** See notes
- 1-1 1/2 cups shredded carrots Approximately 3 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a loaf pan or square pan with parchment paper or grease and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add your oil and pumpkin puree and mix well. Fold in your carrots and raisins and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the carrot cake batter in the lined pan. Top with crushed walnuts and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.